Monday, July 14, 2008

Show and Tell

So I'm teaching summer school this year half time. It was hard to decide to do it. I've often said that I'm a better teacher because I've never taught summer school. Usually, I feel like I need the break but this year is different because I had a lighter student load this past year and the summer school project we're doing isn't the usual paper and pencil kind of summer school. We're building a 1/4 scale model of the space shuttle and international space station out of plastic and gobs of duct tape. Today N, a fifth grader asked me several times if I wanted to see her frog. I said, "Is it real?" And she said yes and then started digging in her purse. She spent a few minutes digging and I thought "There is no way she has a real frog and if she does it's probably dead by now" - what with all the digging in the purse. She couldn't find it. About 20 minutes later I saw the frog hopping along minding its own business. So I picked it and asked N to take it outside to live. A few minutes later a different student found an ant and smashed it to death with her foot.

No comments: