Sunday, July 27, 2008

Forced Family Fun

On Saturday I had the need for some forced family fun with my two teenagers who are weeks away from leaving for college.  So we go bowling.  In the car on the way to the bowling alley it is pretty much silent, so I play some music.  Nothing.  Then we get to the bowling alley and get settled and J says, "Do they have food here?"  That's his focus in life.  Thank the lord they have food and he starts ordering.  We start bowling.  We finish the game in about 26 minutes.  I get 5 strikes and have to yell, "Hey kids - I got a strike!" to get them out of their teenage stupor.  M sashays up to the foul line and lets go of the ball mid air.  There is a loud crash the ball teeters down the alley - usually going directly towards a gutter.  Then she sashays back sullenly and sits down.  She starts chewing her hair.  J on the other hand throws the ball the rock star way - you know, you don't put your fingers into the holes, you just sort of hold the ball in the palm of your hand and use your wrist to give it a good spin.  It went fast, very fast, banging hard into the gutter most frames.  So I kicked butt but neither of them really noticed.  I bowl about once a year and it's always with them.  So we get home and M marches to her room and J goes to the basement.  About an hour later they emerge.  M is light hearted for some reason and walks over to me and says, "Wasn't that the crappiest family fun time ever?"  We all laugh and I ask them why it went the way it did.  Neither of them could tell me put they found it entirely out of character.  I wonder how many strikes I'll get next year.

2 comments:

Snag said...

You already had a perfect game.

Anonymous said...

i do not chew my hair