Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine

My darlings were home for Valentines. I love having them near me. It is comforting. I get the whole animal thing now, more than before. I feel like they are back in the nest. I find myself hovering and protecting more than ever. I growl when people are harming them - literally growling. It is sort of embarrassing for them - but it is my job after all. BACK OFF!

They are both trying to find their way and it is lovely and precious to watch. It is also painful and terrifying. Of course I know the path they are on and I know most of the twists and turns that are coming up for them - but when I try to describe that to them, to warn them, and ease their burden, they don't hear me. It's just the way it is. We all have to find our own way. Sometimes I just want to yell, "HEY - YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO THAT WAY! THERE IS AN EASIER ROUTE!"

I'm sure my parents tried to help me too, but those years between 18 and 25 or so, you're really on your own. You can't hear much advice even though you ask for it and want it. You are on your own. Forging you own path.

They will be okay because they are smart and strong. It's just hard to watch them go through the brambles and swamp waters. It's hard to see my children hurt.

I'll get more popsicles.

No comments: