Saturday, February 7, 2009

These Are The Days

The sun is shining and it is warm but please don't be stupid about it. I mean, really, don't start saying things like, "Yeah, we're heading into spring." Or, "We probably won't have any more below zero days." It's talk like that that brings us all into a deep depression when it hits -5 at the end of February. Just keep the mouths shut about the temperatures. Be good Minnesotans and act like you actually enjoy the winter.

Each year I privately ask myself, when is it safe to say we won't have any more super cold days and we won't slip on the ice or have to get ticked off when digging for our keys in our pockets with gloves on? I believe, here in Minnesota, the safest date is May 1. I know - even that is risky. But April - that's all in your face about spring time and Target pastel crap, but it snows and it's freezing cold in the mornings. So - forget about April. It's May and keep in mind that's a real long time from now. Keep the long underwear on. Don't be shy about layering well into March in April. Believe me, I've been there.

The great thing about winter is that it is similar to childbirth in the fact that we forget about it once we see and feel the beautiful face of spring.

Please keep your weather comments to yourself.

No comments: