Saturday, November 1, 2008

Teacher Conference

Okay so I almost cried three times during the keynote address. They had to show darling pictures of middle school students holding inspirational words like (hope, determination, etc,) while playing enlightening music. I love going to conferences like that. It's uplifting and rejuvenating. Did I learn anything? Yes - but I have more questions now.

How do I get students to believe in themselves?
How do I convince them that I believe in them?
How much does content count if you don't know how to teach?
How do we change our teaching because the kids have changed the way they learn?
What does an "A" mean to a 12 year-old who is homeless, hungry, and beat up? Or an "F" for that matter?
Where can I do the most good?

Favorite ideas:

Never stop trying to become qualified for your job.

The signature of a great leader is humility.

Make a "not doing" list.

I love what I do. I can't wait to get back on Monday. Bring it on.

No comments: