Monday, October 29, 2007

Catching My Breath

How does life get so busy? Mary and I returned safely from our college trip - a trip that was fun and informative and bonding for us. I went to Texas for a school/work conference on something called Disciplinary Literacy right after I got back from the college trip. It was hard work and enlightening and it was difficult to go back to work after both trips and try to figure out the day-to-day stuff. Then I watched a movie called Blood Diamond and am in the middle of reading Into the Wild and I feel like I should be putting it all together and changing my life in some meaningful way. It seems like I'm getting hints at what turn to take next - but the voice is not quite loud enough. Am I too tired to hear it? Does it seem like too much work? Maybe I'm just not ready. What is it I'm trying to get ready for? It's true - I have been blessed to be born into the life I have. I know that and I feel a heavy obligation some days and other days it feels more like hopeful optimism.

A couple of weeks ago, John paid me a surprise visit from his college far far away. I was thrilled to see him, tears were shed. What a good boy! In the car ride on the way to the airport he said, "I am so confused about life. I mean, what am I supposed to be doing?" I told him he was to be doing exactly what he was doing. Being confused, muddling through, figuring it out, being 19. He's doing a fine job.

Mary applied to 4 schools yesterday. She wrote a couple of heart warming essays and cranked out the answers to the usual questions. It was taxing but she stuck it out. What a good girl! She is on the cusp of the confusion. I think she is ready for it.

Would you rather be allergic to socks or your mother?

No comments: