Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Summer

You wonder why anything I have to say would be of use for anyone, but it is useful to me. Did you watch the NAACP Obama speech? If not, please do. It's amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv6EAaoFNno.

Here's what's great about our president:

He takes no crap from anyone.
He says difficult things ("you're not all going to be 'Lil Wayne or LeBron") and he is funny.
He makes mistakes and admits them.
He works hard and then keeps working harder.

I don't really like how he wears his pants though. He's got a little of the mom-jean thing going. Maybe he is trying hard to do the opposite of the butt- showing jean thing, but come on. Be cool.

I've been in school this summer, teaching and learning. Teaching in the day, schooling in the night. I love it. I was trying to figure out what's so great about going to school and it is the process of learning. It is as if I can feel my brain getting smarter. I'm a good student. I ask questions, I press for understanding, I take notes, I do my homework (usually on time) and I help my classmates. Why? Because I care about the content and I care about learning.

How do I get this same thing going on in my class?

I mean really, why should they care about linear functions and probability? It's more fun to talk to boys and giggle and be cute. Really?

No comments: