Sunday, July 18, 2010

What is Faith?

In my darkest moment I reached out for comfort. I didn't ask why this had to happen to me. I think that is faith. I knew there was comfort for me - I knew if I could reach out, it would be there. I knew that if I just asked and let go a little that I would be okay. Sure, there were times that I thought, does it have to hurt so much? or does recovery have to take quite so long? Sometimes I wondered when I would hear some good news, like the date I'd be released from the hospital. But through it all, I knew it would be okay. There were many people that came to support me spiritually. A chaplain, a priest, a healer. The chaplain suggested this short prayer, "Be still and know that I am God." As I said it I felt like I was actually in God's palm - what a beautiful feeling of comfort and security. One morning after a terrible feverish night sleep, I finally dozed off. I woke up with the the voices from my church choir in my ear singing Total Praise. I am changed. Not in my faith or my belief. I am changed in what faith can do for all of us. Believe.

No comments: